SOMERVILLE — Little Sisters of the Poor announced Sept. 16 that they will be withdrawing from Jeanne Jugan Residence, Somerville. The Sisters met with the residents, their families, lay associates, staff and volunteers sharing their decision.
The Little Sisters have served in the Archdiocese of Boston continuously since 1870. Eight Little Sisters arrived at the port of Boston on April 19, 1870, to start a home for the elderly poor in Roxbury. In the span of 17 years, two other homes for the elderly were built — in Charlestown and Somerville.
The Charlestown home closed in 1896. In 1978, the residents of Roxbury and Somerville were welcomed into their new facility on Highland Avenue, behind the former building. (Keep reading the Boston Pilot article here)